Virginia Family History Societies (N-O)
This section lists associations from New Kent to Orange giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
New Kent Historical Society
Their aim is to collect and preserve information relating to the history of New Kent County. Many artefacts are exhibited in their Museum, which include:
- Farm Equipment
- Green vs the Board of Education case
- Household Items from the 1930s and 1940s
Birth, Marriages and Death Notices dating from the 1600's are also accessible.
They are in the process of publishing a book titled New Kent Men in Service, 1900-2010 by Sonny Graves.
Norfolk and Western Historical Society
Their aim is to make publicly available drawings, photographs, graphics of the Norfolk & Western and Virginian Railways. Many archives are held by the society, which incorporate:
- Annual Reports
- Bond Coupons
- Dispatcher's Logs
- Employee Timetables
- Engineering Drawings
- Mechanical Drawings
- Newspaper Articles
- Public Passenger Timetables
- Rule Books
- Standard Drawings
It is possible to search the Archives Database on their site.
Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society
The association was established in 1951, its aim being to collect and preserve information relating to the history, antiquities, and literature of the Counties of Northumberland, Lancaster, Westmoreland, Stafford, Richmond, and King George.
Many ressources can be accessed in their Library, including:
- Census Records
- Church and Cemetery Guides
- Deed and Will Abstracts
- Family Histories
- Histories of Virginia and Northern Neck Towns and Counties
- Immigration Lists
- Marriages relating to Westmoreland, Stafford and Richmond Counties
- Northern Neck News on Microfilm 1879-1939
- Order Book Abstracts
- Virginia Citizen of Irvington 1891-1917
- Vital Records
Northumberland County Historical Society
Many archives are held by the society, which include:
- The Association's Bulletin, which is published yearly
- Bible Records
- Family Charts
- Family Files
- Local Genealogy Books
Numerous publications are available for sale, which incorporate:
- The Chesapeake Bay of Yore
- Historic Sites in Virginia's Northern Neck and Essex Co.
- Wills and Administrations 1713-1749, 1770-1790 and 1790-1816
A list of Surnames often researched in the area is on the site.
Orange County Historical Society
Some databases are accessible, which include A Brief History of Orange Co., The Diaries of Fannie Hume and Orange Co. Notes.
Many publications are available for sale, which incorporate:
- Courthouse 1861-1865: Orange in the Civil War
- First Settlers 1700-1776
- Land Patents
- Orange Virginia: Story of a Courthouse Town
- Probated Wills 1861-1865
- Road Orders 1734-1749 and 1750-1800