Tennessee Family History Societies(L-N)
This section lists associations from Lake to Moore giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
County and Other Societies
Lake County Historical Society
A History Index is accessible, which includes:
- Civil War in the area
- Lake Co. History
- Old Post Offices and Communities
- Topography and Migration Patterns of Lake Co.
Other articles are offsite, including New Madrid Earthquake, Goodspeed's History of Lake Co. and Legend of Reelfoot.
Some Obituaries and Photographs can be accessed, along with information about Old Post Offices and Communities.
Numerous publications are sold by the society, including:
- Crockett Chapel Cemetery - Crockett Chapel United Methodist Church Census
- Histories and Families
- History of Ridgely Methodist Church
- Night Riders of Reelfoot Lake
- Tiptonville City Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions
- Veterans of World War II
Lawrence County Archives
The Archives has a Loose Records Collection, which comprise:
- Apprentice Indentures 1818-1909
- Bastardy Cases
- Co. and Chancery Court Petitions
- Deeds 1820-1959
- Divorces 1820-1970
- Family File Folders
- Land Grants
- Marriages 1818-2000
- Merchants Licences
- Tax and Voter Records
- Wills 1820-1959
Many databases are accessible, which include:
- 1818 Voters List
- 1820 Census Transcription
- 1826 Tax List
- 1830 Census Heads of Household
- 1842 Delinquent Poll Tax List
- 1868 Tax List
- 1890 Veterans Census Returns for Dickson, Hardin, Hickman, Giles, Lawrence, Lewis, Maury and Wayne Counties
- 1908-1912 and 1914-1930 Deaths Index for Tennessee
Databases also comprise:
- Bible Records
- Births Abstracted from the Explosive Licence Applications in the 1940s
- Deaths 1881-1882 and 1908-1912
- Deaths Taken from Chancery and Co. Court Petitions
- Lawrence Co. Births 1881-1882 and 1908-1912
- Military Sources, which include Lawrence Co. Veterans from all Wars
- Obituaries and Wills 1829-1847
- Revolutionary War Soldiers
Old Letters from Early Tennessee Settlers are also available along with links to other sites you may find of use.
Many Books are sold by the society, including:
- Cemetery Transcripts
- Census Returns
- Marriages 1818-2011
- Obituaries 1846-2012
- Second Creek Baptist Church 1830-1948
Macon County Historical and Genealogical Society
The association has an
extensive collection of resources including Revolutionary, War of 1812,
Mexican and Civil War Material, Tennessee Census Returns 1820-1880, Clerk and Master Court Records 1844-present and Macon
Co. Census Returns 1880-1920.
Resources also include Cemetery Transcripts, Funeral Home Books and Sumner, Smith and Wilson Co. Records and Kentucky Marriages and Obituaries.
In addition, Virginia Census Returns and Marriages, North Carolina and Kentucky Land Grants, Family Histories and Genealogies, Macon Co. Times Newspaper on Microfilm, Minutes from Area Churches, Native American Records and Cal's Column - 927 pages of Genealogical Research by Rev. Calvin Gregory, are also available.
Resources on Microfilm which include Doctor and Store Ledgers, Personal Papers and pre 1900 Deeds can also be accessed.
Numerous databases are accessible, including Bible Records, Cemetery Index, Partial Index of Deaths 1908-1939 and Obituaries.
Many publications are available for sale, which incorporate:
- 1850/1860, 1870/1880 and 1900/1910 Census Books
- Funeral Home Books
- History of Macon Co. by Harold Blankenship
- Macon Co. Cemetery Map
- Macon Co. History and Families Book
- Newsletters and Indexes
A list of Surnames currently being researched by Members is also available.
Moore County Historical and Genealogical Society
Many databases are on the site, which incorporate:
- 1920 Map of Lynchburg
- Brandon Chapel Methodist Church History
- List of Moore Co. Clerk and Masters
Numerous publications are available for sale, which incorporate:
- 1880 Census Return
- Gowen Cemetery Transcripts
- Cemetery Transcripts of Lincoln-Moore Counties
- Harrison Funeral Home Books
- Heritage Book
- History of the Lois Cemetery
- Marriages 1838-1880, 1880-1899 and 1900-1910
- Obituaries from the Moore Co. News 1960-1970, 1971-1979 and 1980-1986
- Official Marriage Records of Moore Co. 1872-1938