Virginia Family History Societies (M-N)
This section lists associations from Martinsville to Nelson giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
County and other Societies
Martinsville - Bassett Historical Centre
Many archives can be accessed in the Historical Centre, which include:
- Census Returns
- Early African-American Co-Habitation List
- Family Files
- Funeral Home Records
- Genealogy Books
- Genealogy Files Pilson Collection
- Local History Files
- Personal Computer Genealogy Collections
Their Local Company Collections incorporate:
- DuPont, Tultex, Bassett-Walker
- Blue Ridge Hardware & Supply Co.
- Bassett Industries, Stanley Newspaper
- Henry Co. Plywood, Bassett Pioneer
Mathews County Historical Society
The society was established in 1964 and incorporated in 1970. Its aims are to preserve and promote the heritage of Mathews County. It now has over 150 members throughout the United States.
Some publications are available for sale, which incorporate:
- Census Returns 1810-1860
- Historic Homes and Properties
- Kingston Parish Register: Mathews, Gloucester and Middlesex Counties: Slaves and Slaveholders, 1746-1827
- Land and Personal Tax Lists 1791-1800
- Mathews Co. Land and Personal Tax Lists 1791-1800
- Mathews Co.: Lost Landscapes, Untold Stories - Martha W McCartney
- Mathews Men Who Served in the War Between the States - Mrs Bernard Franklin White
- New Point Comfort Lighthouse, Its History and Preservation - Mary Louise Clifford and J. Candace Clifford
- Old Kingston Parish 1652-1976
- Pictorial History of Mathews Co. 1791-1941
- Tombstones of Mathews Co. 1711-1986
- The Vestry Book of Kingston Parish 1679-1796
Mount Vernon Genealogical Society
Many archives can be accessed in their Library, which comprise:
- Bible Records
- Births, Marriages and Deaths
- Cemetery Transcripts
- Census Returns
- Church Histories and Registers
- City Directories
- Civil War Books
- Court Records
- Daughters of the American Revolution Books and Indexes
Archives also incorporate:
- Emigration and Immigration Records
- Heraldry Books
- Land Records
- Military Records
- Passenger Lists
- Town Histories
- Wills and Probate
These archives relate not only to Mount Vernon, but to most Counties in Virginia, the State of Virginia as a whole and other States of America as well as further afield.
Nelson County Historical Society
The aim of the association is to preserve the archives of the area. Many archives are available in their Library, which incorporate Cemetery Transcripts, School Records, Church Records and Histories.
Archives also incorporate Community Histories, Family Histories, Items relating to Nelson Co. History and Information about Historic Homes.
A newsletter is published by the society and back issues from February 2011 to August 2013 are available to view on the site.
A Book about the Cemeteries in the area is also available for sale.