Vermont Family History Societies(S-Z)
This section lists associations from Shoreham to Woodstock giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
County and other Societies
Shoreham Historical Society
The aims of the society are to preserve the history of Shoreham, Vermont by gathering artefacts relating to Shoreham and teaching others about its history.
Some Databases and Indexes are accessible, which include The Town Charter, 1790 Census of Shoreham and a Map of the Town.
A list of Cemeteries is also available, along with Gravestone Inscriptions.
Some publications are available for sale, which incorporate:
- Genealogical Register of the Early Families of Shoreham
- Historic Architecture of Addison Co.
- Shoreham - The Town and its People
Starksboro Historical Society
A list of Cemeteries is accessible, along with Gravestone Inscriptions. These incorporate:
- Brace(also known as Newell Stokes)
- Brown Hill(also called Harry Hallock or Hannon)
- Catholic(also called Ireland or Conway)
- Green Mount
- Hillsboro(also called Ryan)
- Mason Hill
- Norton(also called James Casey or Butler)
- South Starksboro - Jerusalem
- South Starksboro - Quaker-Friends
- Village Cemeteries
Calkins Cemetery is also mentioned.
Thetford Historical Society
The association was established in 1943 by people who showed an interest in local history.
Many archives are available in their Library, which comprise:
- Correspondence and Records of Local Families
- District School Registers
- Early Dictionaries
- History of Thetford, Vermont and New England
- Ledgers of Local Stores and Artisans
- Manuscript Collections
- Town Histories
Genealogical Information is held in a four-drawer cabinet, index by surname. This work was compiled by Mary B Slade.
Copies of Vital Records, Baptism and Marriage Records and 1790-1880 Census Returns for Thetford are also held by the society. A list of Surnames mentioned in these files is on the site.
Windham County Historical Society
Many resources can be accessed in their Archives, which incorporate:
- Cemetery Transcripts
- Church Registers
- Compilations of Birth, Marriage and Death Notices
- School District Registers
- Town Histories
- Town Records
Woodstock Historical Society - Woodstock History Centre
A Cemetery Index is accessible, which covers the cemeteries of:
Many archives are available at the John Cotton Dana Library and Research Archive, which include:
- Historical Photographs
- Land Records
The association is an official Family Search site so it is possible to order LDS Films and view them in the Centre.