Rhode Island Family History Societies(A-Z)
This section lists associations from Boston to Providence to South County History Centre giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
Boston to Providence Genealogical Society
A number of databases are on the site, which incorporate Family Vital Statistics from various Families in certain Towns and Cities in Massachusetts.
In addition, they have details of the Whipple Family Vital Statistics in Cumberland and Providence.
They also have information regarding various towns in Massachusetts that they are specifically interested in.
A list of Libraries and Clerks of Towns in Bristol County, Norfolk County and various other Counties in Massachusetts is also available.
A list of Surnames currently being researched by Members is on the site.
Little Compton Historical Society
A number of resources are available, which comprise:
- Cemetery Transcripts
- Church Documents
- Family Papers
- Little Compton Census Returns
- School Registers
- Topographical Map of the State
Some publications are available for sale, which include:
- If Jane Should Want to be Sold: Stories of Enslavement, Indenture and Freedom in Little Compton, Rhode Island
- The History of Little Compton, A Home By the Sea, 1820-1950
- The History of Little Compton, First Light: Sakonnet, 1660-1820
- L is for Little Compton
- The Life and Works of Sydney Burleigh
- Little Compton Families
- Little Compton Remembers World War II, 1945-1995
- Portraits in Time, Three Centuries of Remarkable Residents, 1600-1900
- Remembering Adamsville
- Sakonnet Point Perspectives
- The Stories Houses Tell
- Terra Nova, Vida Nova – The Portuguese in Little Compton
Newport Historical Society
They have many archives, which include:
- African-American History Collection
- Church Registers
- Family Papers
- Merchants' Papers
- Ships Log Books
- Town and City Records
It is possible to access a database of their Archives and Manuscript Collections on the site and on RIAMCO, the Rhode Island Archival and Manuscript Collections Online.
Their Library Collection includes Biographies, Autobiographies, Diaries and Journals of prominent Personalities of New England. These include Politicians, Military Heroes, Theologians and Merchants.
In addition, they also have:
- American Wills Proved in London and Canterbury
- Burke's Peerage
- Census Data
- Genealogical Gleanings in England
- History of the Commoners
A list of surnames in their Genealogical Collections is on the site.
South County History Centre
Originally founded in 1958, the Pettaquamscutt Historical Society, from May 2016, operated under the new name of South County History Centre.
The association has a Research Library where a number of resources are available, which include:
- Family Files
- Local Histories
- Manuscript Holdings
Some publications are available for sale, incorporating:
- The American Family of John Watson of the Narragansett County
- Crime, Punishment, and the Washington County Jail: Hard Time in Kingston
- Historic Buildings of South County
- Jailed for Preaching: The Autobiography of Cato Pearce, a Freed Slave from Washington County
- Lost South Kingstown
- Picturing History: Wakefield's Post Office Mural of 1939
- Rhode Island: The Ocean State - An Illustrated History
- South Kingstown Council Records 1771-1795