Merionethshire Record Office

Merionethshire Record Office holds resources relating to the history of Gwynedd.

The resources cover 400 years and are on a wide range of medium.  They cover many different topics so whatever your research interest, you will find the documents held of use.

These resources include census returns, parish registers, wills and testaments, manorial documents and quarter sessions records. They have knowledge and helpful staff who are always available to help should you require assistance. 

If you have any records relating to Gwynned that you may like to donate, they would love to hear from you.  These resources may be gifted to them or deposited on loan.

Information about Merionethshire Record Office


Meirionnydd Record Office
Bala Road 
LL40 2YF 

Telephone Number:

01341 424682 


For information regarding their directions, opening hours and collections, please visit the appropriate sections of their Home Page and their collections page.  These collections include:

  • Bishop's Transcripts
  • Census Returns
  • Chapel Records
  • Directories
  • Electoral Registers
  • Estate Records
  • Marriage Licences
  • Parish Registers
  • Probate Records
  • Roman Catholic Records
  • Tithe Records
  • Wills

You can search their collections on-line by using the Rhagorol On-line catalogue which contains details of a great number of their collections. The catalogue contains 12000 pages and 2000 images, but only a small percentage of their collections are included. Details of documents are presented in the language used at the time the document was prepared so some documents are presented in Welsh.

It is prudent to book a microfilm reader before you visit to avoid disappointment, especially if you are travelling some distance.

You may only view three documents, six photographs or one volume at a time. You can order more than this, but the other documents and/or photographs will be kept behind the counter until you are ready to consult them.

Most documents are able to be photocopied, but only if doing so will not cause damage to the documentBound copies of newspapers are not able to be copied. After a photocopy has been made you need to fill in a photocopy order form.  You also need to fill in a reproduction request form to take photocopies of documents in publications.

The Archive does not allow people to use cameras, camera phones or scanning equipment.

A research service is offered for anyone unable to visit in person.  For further details please peruse the appropriate section of the Home Page.  A charge is made to people wishing to take advantage of this service.

They are a member of the CARN (County Archive Research Network)