Illinois Family History Societies (S-Z)
This section lists county associations from St Clair to Winnebago and Boone providing details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
St Clair County Genealogical Society
The association was established in 1977. They have numerous Church Records on the site, including:
- Baptisms covering 1869-1986 for St John United Church of Christ Smithton
- Bethel Baptist Church Minutes 1809-1909
- Catholic Parish Registers 1722-1930
- St Liborius Catholic Registers including baptisms 1839-1906, Marriages 1839-1931 and Deaths 1835-1956
There is also an alphabetical list of cemeteries, transcriptions of cemetery lot cards for St Clair Memorial Park and an index to those buried at Walnut Hill Cemetery in Belville.
Indexes include Obituary Indexes from Belleville News Democrat 1994-2007 and Freeburg Tribune 1904-1939. A list of surnames currently being researched by members is also available.
South Suburban Genealogical and Historical Society
The association was established in February 1968 as South Cook and North Will Counties Historical and Genealogical Society. A list of towns covered by the association is available on the site.
They have a Library located at 3000 W. 170th Place, Hazel Crest which is in the same building as the Municipal Centre and Police Department.
An extensive number of resources are accessible, including:
- Census Returns
- City Directories
- Family History Books
It is also possible to peruse their on-line catalogue. A number of on-line databases are available including Burial-Transit Permits from Calumet City and a Cemetery Master Index by Township.
A number of publications are available which include:
- Able-Bodied Men Military Census 1861-1862
- Cook Co. Marriages prior to the fire, 24 July 1871
- Newspaper Extracts from Greater Roseland Area of Chicago 1882-1894
- Newspaper Extracts from Harvey, Illinois
- Surname index from the Society's quarterly publication Where the Trails Cross is also available and covers 1970-2001
Tazewell County Genealogical and Historical Society
They have a Library where an extensive number of resources are accessible, which include:
- Births and Deaths before 1916
- Cemetery Books
- Family Histories
- Funeral Home Books
- Historical Tazewell Co. Maps
- Index to the TCGHS Obituary Collection
- Marriages 1827-1916
- Tazewell Co. Cemeteries
- Tazewell Co. Education Records
- Tazewell Co. Township Maps
A list of publications is also available, which incorporate:
- 1850 and 1860 Census Returns
- Cemeteries Volumes 1 to 11
- Land Records 1827-1838
- Marriages Indexes 1827-1897
- Naturalisations 1839-1909
- Surname index to the TCGHS Monthly Newsletter covering 1978-2000
White County Genealogy Society
The association has a number of publications for sale, which include:
- Archer Funeral Home Books 1918-1935
- Extracts of Obituary and Death Notices from White Co
- Illinois Area Newspapers Volume 1 1819-1927 and Volume 2 1928-1940
A list of surnames currently being researched by members is also available.
Winnebago and Boone Counties Genealogical Society
The association was established in 1986. They have an index to burials at Cedar Bluff Cemetery on the site.
A number of publications are also available, which incorporate:
- 1840-1860 Census Returns for Winnebago County
- 1840-1870 Census Returns for Boone County
- 1850-1880 Mortality Schedules for Boone and Winnebago Counties
- Belvidere Cemetery 1836-1900
- Boone Co. Early Marriages 1851-1899
- Winnebago Co. Cemetery Inscriptions Volumes 1 and 2