Georgia Family History Societies (A-B)
This section lists the state-wide associations from East to North West Georgia. It then lists the county association of Augusta giving details about each one and what resources and publications they offer.
Statewide and Regional Societies
Statewide and Regional
East Georgia Genealogical Society
The association was established in 1991 as Piedmont Regional Genealogy Society, changing to its current name in 2000. Its aim is to raise the standard of genealogical research. Details of counties covered by the association are given on the site.
They publish a quarterly newsletter and it possible to purchase back issues of this publication on the site.
A range of other publications are also available for purchase, which include:
- Gwinnett Co. Census Returns
- Gwinnett Co. History 1819-1960
- Jackson Co. Marriages 1805-1910
- Oglethorpe Co. Abstracts of Wills 1794-1903
- Oglethorpe Co. Marriage Records 1794-1963
- Settlers - Family Sketches book
Transcriptions of Wills are also available.
Georgia Genealogical Society
The association was established in 1964. Some publications are sold by the society, which include:
- 1807 Land Lottery fortunate drawers and grantees
- A Resource Guide to Marriage Records
- Admission Register of Central State Hospital of Milledgeville 1842-1861
- Back issues of their Newsletter
- Cemetery Bibliography
They also have a list of surnames currently being researched by members.
North West Georgia Historical and Genealogical Society
Details of counties covered by the association are given on the
The society sells some publications, which include:
- Floyd Co. Confederates
- Floyd County 1892 Tax Digest
- Myrtle Hill Cemetery - Obituaries and Interments
A list of surnames currently being researched by members is also accessible.
Augusta Genealogical Society
The association was established in 1979. They have a Library where
books, maps, microfiche, manuscripts, the Mims and Mealing Collections and
audio tapes are accessible, along with Ancestor Chart Files and a Surname-Area
file which are both indexed by family name.
The society sells numerous publications, which incorporate:
- 1850 Georgia Mortality Schedules
- Burke's American Famiies with British Ancestry
- Cemeteries & Genealogy: Warren County, Georgia and Immediate Vicinity, 1792-1987
- A Family History: Wright-Lewis-Moore and Connected Families: Early Settlers, Greene Co.
- Georgia City Directories Name Index
- German Immigrant Servant Contracts. Registered at the Port of Philadelphia, 1817-1831
- History Books
- Personal name index to the Augusta Chronicle
- Vital Records Books
- Will Abstracts